Design Subject Brief
Design, and the resultant development of new technologies, has given rise to profound changes in society, transforming how we access and process information, adapt our environment, communicate with others,
solve problems, work and live. MYP design challenges students to apply practical and creative-thinking skills to solve design problems; encourages students to explore the role of design in historical and contemporary contexts; and raises students’ awareness of their responsibilities when making design decisions and taking action.
Inquiry and problem-solving are at the heart of design. MYP design requires the use of the design cycle as a tool, which provides: the methodology to structure the inquiry and analyse problems; the development of feasible solutions; the creation of solutions; and the testing and evaluation of the solution. In MYP design, a solution can be a
MYP design enables students to develop not only practical skills but also strategies for creative and critical thinking.
The aims of MYP design are to encourage and enable students to:
• enjoy the design process, and develop an appreciation of its elegance and power
• develop knowledge, understanding and skills from different disciplines to design and create solutions to problems using the design cycle
• use and apply technology effectively as a means to access, process and communicate information, model and create solutions, and to solve problems
• develop an appreciation of the impact of design innovations for life, global society and environments
• appreciate past, present and emerging design within cultural, political, social, historical and environmental contexts
• develop respect for others’ viewpoints and appreciate alternative solutions to problems
• act with integrity and honesty, and take responsibility for their own actions developing effective working practices.