On this page:
How to create notecards
How to edit a notecard
How to change a notecard's title
And on the next section of this page, learn: How to Use Notecards
Once you create and open a new project in NoodleTools, there are two ways to create and access your notecards: the Notecards and Sources screens. Since you can view and edit all of your notecards in either screen, you’ll find that you develop a preference for working in either the Notecards or Sources screen as you take notes.
How to create a new notecard
If a notecard is created from the Sources screen, it is automatically associated with a particular source. A “thought card” (a notecard that contains your own thoughts or a reminder to yourself, not tied to any reference in your source list) can only be created from the Notecards screen.
1. Click the green New Notecard button if you are on the Notecard Tabletop View.
Alternatively, on the Sources screen, click “New” in the Notecards column next to a reference.
2. A new notecard opens for editing.
3. In the Title field, choose a short description (1-3 words) that represent the main idea of the notecard. You might choose to wait and decide on a good title for the notecard once you’ve filled in the notecard content, like your paraphrase or summary.
4. Select the source from the Source dropdown list and specify the URL and page numbers if any in the fields to the right.
5. Copy and paste the source material into the Direct quotation field ("Copy, paste and annotate here").
Some helpful hints:
6. Add new tags or select previously added tags from My tags in the field to the right.
7. When you edit a notecard, your changes are automatically saved. To revert to an earlier version, click "Manage versions." A new window will display the current version and previously saved versions. To select an earlier version, click the date and time of the version to revert the notecard to that version saved. To return to your notecard, click "Manage versions."
8. Click Save and Close to close the notecard.
1. On the Notecard Detail view, click Edit at the lower right corner of any notecard in the middle panel.
On the Sources screen, in the Notecard column, click the orange "Notecards" icon will display the contents of those notecards below the citation (click the icon again to close them). Then select Edit on the notecard's Options menu.
2. When you finish editing the notecard, click Save to save your changes and close the window.
The simplest method of changing a notecard’s title is to click on the title on the tabletop, enabling in-place editing of the text. Click the option icon (three dots), click Rename, type the new name and click outside the title (or press Enter) to save the change.